Eat to Thrive
337 Newton St. #4
Posted: August 14, 2017
Application Deadline: No Deadline
Position: Part-time, Unpaid, Immediate
Today, it is estimated that every 1 in 5 American children aged 6-19 are struggling with obesity, often a form of malnutrition (CDC, 2017). The pervasive consequences of this epidemic include increased risk for the child to develop other chronic diseases, such as asthma, bone and joint problems, sleep apnea, risk factors for heart disease, and diabetes (CDC, 2017). Obesity is only one issue we tackle at this grassroots public health nonprofit. The mission of Eat to Thrive os to prevent obesity, chronic disease, and malnutrition through the education and advocacy of healthy living.
Our mission is manifested in two unique programs: Eat to Thrive and Real Kids Real Food. Eat to Thrive is a renowned 10 week course for adults seeking to improve their health. Lessons in Eat to Thrive range from plant-based nutrition and food preparation to sprouting. Real Kids Real Food (RKRF) is a health program for inner-city, underserved, low-income children and their families. The weekly course also provides age-appropriate lessons on nutrition, exercise, food preparation, and mindfulness. This year’s RKRF program will be held at the Mystic Public Housing. Through public education by renowned speakers and potlucks, our mission is also pursued.
Where: Office and Classroom located in Waltham, MA near public transportation
When: Immediately. Part-time, flexible hours. Some remote work available.
Why: To fulfill the mission of preventing obesity, chronic disease and malnutrition, especially in children, through education and advocacy of healthy living.
- Contribute to program development and marketing for RKRF programs and Eat to Thrive programs
- Co-author grants
- Assist with fundraising online and at events using social media
- Research and refine existing lesson plans
- Assist with budget-making, finances, and monthly newsletters
- Provide support completing administrative tasks
- Post recipes and photos on website and on social media
- Mac computer literacy and technical support (Must have a laptop with word processing software)
- Passionate about promoting our mission: to prevent obesity, chronic disease, and malnutrition, especially in children, through education and advocacy of healthy living
- Works well as a team member, flexible, punctual, and fun
- Excellent writing skills and basic graphic design
- Enjoys preparing food.
- Experience taking photos a plus.
- Interest in Wellness, Vegan or vegetarian Lifestyle is a plus.
- Required skills: Mac, Microsoft office, mac photos
- Experience with Google drive, Constant Contact, Facebook, graphics, Excel, Quickbooks, WordPress, Twitter, Meetups is a plus
- Interest in Wellness, Vegan or vegetarian Lifestyle is a plus
If interested, email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.